Friday, December 12, 2014

Light and Shadows



We're on day 11 of sickness in our family.  I thought we were getting over all the flu and crud and getting better, but this morning, we woke up to two kids with fevers. Ugh.  
In times of trial, I find it hard to see God's goodness. I am even tempted to distrust Him and His love for me.
As, I sat with the Lord this morning, I asked Him for some encouragement.  I needed Him to lift my eyes up, out of the darkness.  I wanted to see His goodness and know His heart for me. 
My eyes were drawn to the giant windows overlooking the wooded area behind my house. As I looked outside, I saw the bright sunshine streaming brilliantly through the trees, dappling everything with light and shadows.  And God whispered into my heart.  He reminded me that His love light is always shining down on me.  And just as one side of the trees were bright with light, the other side was in a shadow. A shadow is just a place where something is blocking the light.  It doesn't mean the light isn't shining. At times, it can be so tempting to just focus on the shadows in our lives and miss all the places that God's love is shining so brightly.  His love is always shining, we just have to look for it.  
And then He reminded me of this verse
"Your eyes are windows into your body.  If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief,your body fills up with light. If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar. If you pull the blinds on your windows, what a dark life you will have!" Matt. 6:22-23 MSG

That verse is so true.  When I look for the light of God's love and goodness in my life, I see it and it fills my soul up with light and love.  But when I shut out the light and just look at the shadows, I am plunged into darkness, doubt, and despair.
That is why God tells us to "give thanks in all circumstances".  It keeps our eyes on the light.  It opens our eyes and our soul to receive His love.  So today, by God's grace, I will remember to open my eyes wide in wonder and belief. I will count my blessings.  And I will believe that His love light is ALWAYS shining down on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment